Working to protect and enhance the Lickey Hills and their environs
Several weeks ago, the Society became aware that the MASU was offering grants to charitable organisations in the local area. Following discussions with the Union, we made an application for a grant of Â£15,300 and to our great surprise we subsequently learned that we had been successful. The application identified the ways in which we would spend the money, the bulk of which will be on information boards; either replacing/updating existing boards or creating new ones. The boards will enhance the experience of people visiting the Hills and in so doing inform and educate them which are in line with the MASUâ€™s objectives. We have naturally contacted the Union to express our thanks.
It was with great sadness that we recently learned of the death of Dr.Cath Elliott who passed away on April 18, 2019 aged 98. Cath was a long standing member and indeed a life member of the Society.
Cath lived in the area for most of her life and spent most of her childhood living at Chadwich Manor, Lydiate Ash. In 1953 she moved with her parents to a new home in Monument Lane where she lived until 2015 when she moved to live near her sister in the village of Elmley Castle, near Pershore. A Thanksgiving Service for Cathâ€™s life was held at Elmley Castle Church on May 9.
For many years, Cath was a respected and well-loved Family Doctor in Bromsgrove. She was awarded the MBE in 2007 for her work as Chair of the Bromsgrove Branch of the Save the Children Fund which she served with distinction for many years. It was typical of Cath that she wrote regularly to the local media to thank those people who supported the charity in many different ways.
Cath was also a very active and much loved member of Holy Trinity Church at Lickey. Cath took part in various working parties at the church where one of her responsibilities was cleaning the drains â€“ not the most glamorous of jobs but one that Cath was happy to take on. A number of members of the church travelled to Elmley Castle for the Thanksgiving Service.
Photo - Cath in 2007 with a cup at the SCF stall in Bromsgrove - courtesy of Jane Ashe
Cath was an active member of the Society, regularly attending meetings and taking part in practical activities. I well remember one autumn litter pick five or six years ago. It was pouring with rain and those of us who had gathered in the Visitor Centre were considering cancelling the event due to the conditions. We were just about to make an announcement to that effect when the doors opened and in walked Cath in full wet weather gear. If Cath who was in her early nineties at the time was willing to turn out then who were we to cancel! We did agree to collect for about an hour and meet back in the Visitor Centre â€“ who was last to return, Cath of course.
This one simple event well illustrates the commitment and dedication of Cath to the Lickey Hills and to the Society. She loved the Lickeys which played an important part in her life, it is thought that she walked her various dogs on the Hills every day for some 60 years! Our thoughts at this time are with Cath, her family and her many friends.
The Bristol Road tram line was extended to reach Rednal on 14 April 1924. The number 70 trams linked Birmingham city centre to the Lickeys until the last tram ran on 5 July 1952. The trams provided Brummies and others with an easy means of access to the Lickey Hills.
As many members will know, there is a stretch of the original tram tracks at Rednal adjacent to what is now the Lai Ling restaurant. Following consultation with the restaurant manager and Birminghamâ€™s Conservation Officer, several members of the Societyâ€™s committee have started work to remove the moss and weeds that cover the tracks.
The Society believes that the original tram track at Rednal is the last remaining in situ track in the city.
© 2015 The Lickey Hills Society