Working to protect and enhance the Lickey Hills and their environs
The Bristol Road tram line was extended to reach Rednal on 14 April 1924. The number 70 trams linked Birmingham city centre to the Lickeys until the last tram ran on 5 July 1952. The trams provided Brummies and others with an easy means of access to the Lickey Hills.
As many members will know, there is a stretch of the original tram tracks at Rednal adjacent to what is now the Lai Ling restaurant. Following consultation with the restaurant manager and Birmingham’s Conservation Officer, several members of the Society’s committee have started work to remove the moss and weeds that cover the tracks.
The Society believes that the original tram track at Rednal is the last remaining in situ track in the city.
The new Jack’s store – the ‘value store’ of Tesco – opened in Rubery in October 2018. The ‘Jack’s Supports’ Programme funds local community groups using money raised from the sale of plastic bags. The Society is delighted to have been nominated for an award under the scheme along with a number of other organisations. Each nominated group receives £250 to celebrate their nomination. We will be looking to identify a project which can be supported by the award, possibly the re-establishment of an orienteering course on the Lickeys or work to be done at the tram terminus.
The Society is currently putting together an application for further funding. Customers at the store will be encouraged to vote for the organisation that they would like to see receiving the funding using a voting machine at the exit of the store. The winning group will be guaranteed a minimum of £500. We are naturally asking members to vote for the Society when you next visit the store. Many thanks for your support.
The Lickey Hills Local History Society held a very successful Open Weekend on 15 & 16 September. The focus of the weekend was the World War I Project which is drawing to a close. Over 200 people viewed the exhibition each day and around 50 took part in each of the guided walks led by Steve Hinton.
During the weekend, three new information boards were unveiled to illustrate the findings of the project research team which includes several LHS members: Jill and Pete Harvey, Carole Burden, Joy Bourne, Diane Smith and Brian Gould. The boards which are close to the Visitor Centre have been designed by Keith and Simon Woolford and are of the highest professional standard, reflecting well on all members involved in the project.
© 2015 The Lickey Hills Society